Proposed B & O tax increase will reduce farm incomes
Last updated 1/14/2021 at 3:59pm
Key findings include:
1. Farmers and ranchers have been negatively affected by the lockdowns, despite being deemed essential services. Median farm households in Washington lost $821 in 2019.
2. Washington farms generate $10.2 billion for our economy.
3. To earn a 20 percent profit margin, farms must earn more than $5 million annually. Only 324 farms in Washington did that in 2017.
4. When lawmakers increase taxes on farmers and ranchers, the immediate effect is a reduction in farm income that is borne entirely by farm families and their employees.
5. Farmers cannot demand an increase of com...
For access to this article please sign in or subscribe.