This Week in Odessa History
Week of Dec. 24
Last updated 1/20/2021 at 2:50pm
100 years ago
Dec. 24, 1920
The Town of Odessa received one of the finest Christmas presents ever given a municipality of its size in the dedication of the new Community Hall [Editor’s note: Known today as the Old Town Hall] with a Christmas tree, and the interest shown exceeded expectations. Seating capacity of the new auditorium is 500, but the actual count by W.H. Luher, a local merchant, as the people left the hall showed that there were over 1100 people at the community tree. Not anticipating such a crowd, the Christmas tree committee had only mad arrangements for Christmas packages...