Be safe, follow the law on fireworks
Last updated 6/29/2017 at 8:45pm
Deputy State Fire Marshal Lysandra Davis has announced that consumer firework sales across the state will begin at noon on Wednesday, June 28, and continue until 9 p.m. on July 5. State Fire Marshal Charles P. LeBlanc reminds residents to “know the laws before purchasing and discharging fireworks,” and “only purchase legal fireworks.” This year, 867 retail fireworks stand licenses were issued.
It is a good time to remind everyone that personal fireworks require personal responsibility. With a little care and planning you can ensure that your family has a fun and safe Fourth of July:
• Check with your local fire or police department
• Be sure the fireworks you purchase are legal to possess and discharge
• Know the dates and times fireworks are allowed in your community
• Only purchase legal consumer fireworks
• Children should not be able to readily access fireworks in the home
• Store fireworks in a secure location to prohibit access
• Purchase the day intended to use the fireworks
• Use care in selecting the area where you will be discharging fireworks
• Follow the directions and warning listed on the firework
• No discharge of fireworks without adult supervision
• Summer weather conditions make grass and other vegetation dry and vulnerable to fire
• Do not allow children to play with fireworks under any circumstances
Remember the three Bs of fireworks safety:
Be Prepared – Have water nearby and put pets indoors
Be Safe – Only adults should light fireworks
Be Responsible – Clean up fireworks debris
Attending a public display is a safe and fun way to enjoy fireworks. To learn about a community fireworks display near you, visit our website at http://www.wsp.wa.gov/fire/fireworks.htm. For more information contact your local fire department, or the State Fire Marshal’s Office at (360) 596-3946.
Date Sales Period Discharge Period
June 28 12:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. 12:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
June 29 - July 3 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
July 4 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
July 5 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.