--From a post by Nicolette Reams at http://buildinghistorycredblogspot.com/
Transportation is the key to survival for small towns, and Harrington is no different, depending on first horses, then trains, then automobiles to bring in visitors and residents. The many businesses that once stood on 9 North Third Street tell the history of the changing face of the automobile business in Harrington. The Studebaker shop is the most current business occupying this piece of property in a long line of automobile businesses in Harrington. It started out as a livery stable, most likely that of the O.K. Livery Stables owned by the McInnis brothers. When the livery burned down in 1916, a new building was built on the land, and the first business to occupy it was the Harrington Garage.
Same Old Street
When alumni return to Harrington, one of the frequent topics of discussion is, "Do you remember," which invariably ends up with memories of the stores on Third Street. People say that as we age the older memories are more reliable than more recently processed information. Memories come into alignment with photos and historic records, but it is fun to try to remember what one saw in former days. Third Street in Harrington since the arrival of the railroad in 1892 has been the location of the largest collection of businesses.