The Odessa Record -

By Terrie Schmidt-Crosby
The Record 

This Week in Odessa History

For week of July 16

 

Last updated 7/20/2020 at 2:32pm



100 years ago

July 16, 1920

At a sparsely attended meeting, the Odessa Community Hall stockholders elected a board of directors for the ensuing year. After only a short discussion of the capable work of the original board of directors, who had served only a few months, the entire board was re-elected by acclamation: W.L. Smith, H.W. Rieke, Sol Reiman, Andrew Janke, Fred Geissler, Fred Lauer and Al Wagner. Contractor Con H. Eckhart reported he was unloading a train car loaded with cement and three carloads of lumber, with more on the way, and was ready to begin construction of the community hall.

The temperature in Odessa reached its hottest high of the season at 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Since a recent rain had provided ample moisture, the wheat crop was spared much damage.

The 1920 census showed Odessa’s population to be 1,050, an increase of 165 persons since the 1910 census

75 years ago

July 15, 1945

F.W. Delaney, registered pharmacist from Minnesota, has taken over management of Odessa Drug, which has been managed up to now by Mrs. M.A. Cosgrove.

Areas where trucks are urgently needed to prevent impairment of farm production will be allocated surplus trucks under a sales procedure announced by the office of Surplus Property of the Dept. of Commerce.

The first load of the 1945 wheat crop was weighed in at the Odessa Union Warehouse scales on Saturday, brought in by Sam Homburg on a test run.

50 years ago

July 16, 1970

Dr. John Gahringer of Odessa purchased the Odessa Medical-Dental Clinic and apartments from Dr. Kenneth Gudgel of Spokane on July 1. Dr. Gahringer and his wife have been decorating the two downstairs apartments in preparation for rentals. The doctor and his family will continue to live in the Hill Villa Apartments and hope to buy a home in Odessa within a few years.

Three separate fires burned over 2,000 acres of rangeland east and west of Odessa, all three near the Burlington Northern railroad tracks. The largest blaze was tough to control in the rocky terrain of the John Mays ranch west of town, with the volunteer firefighters battling it for nine hours until 11 p.m.

25 years ago

July 20, 1995

Odessa hosted the U.S. Slow-pitch Softball Association tournament at Finney Field, with nine teams competing for a berth at the statewide tournament. Teams from Mountlake Terrace, Wenatchee, Warden, Moses Lake, Ellensburg, Tri-Cities, Ritzville and Odessa participated. Odessa’s team consisted of Randy Carlson, Chip Hunt, Mark Iksic, Myron Kramer, Ron Baines, Bill Weber, Matt Carlson, Scott Buchman and Dale Hunt who organized the team. The Tri-Cities team, the Godfathers, won first place.

Mayor Denny McDaniel and three members of the Odessa Town Council, Evelyn Weber, Carl Ryan and Tony Williams, have all said they plan to file for re-election this fall.

Author Bio

Terrie Schmidt-Crosby, Editor

Terrie Schmidt-Crosby is an editor with Free Press Publishing. She is the former owner and current editor of the Odessa Record, based in Odessa, Wash.

Email: therecord@odessaoffice.com
Phone: 5099822632
https://www.facebook.com/The-Odessa-Record-76238881727
Contact Terrie Schmidt-Crosby

 

Reader Comments(0)

 
 

Our Family of Publications Includes:

Powered by ROAR Online Publication Software from Lions Light Corporation
© Copyright 2020

Rendered 12/26/2020 11:25