Car Show coming this weekend
Last updated 5/13/2021 at 8:48am
Harrington –Harrington's Ninth Annual Car Show will be held Saturday, May 15, 2021, in honor of its founder, Allen Barth, who passed away in 2017. This car show has continued to grow yearly due to the generous donations from its sponsors. Sponsors for this year's event include: The Studebaker Garage, CONAGSCO, Wild Hair Salon, Leonardson's Engineering, Wilcox5555, Harrington Lions Club, The Post and Office, Circle H Ranch, Ott Insurance, Duck Lake Farms, Wagner Financial Strategies, Scott and Celeste Miller, Harrington Truck & Auto and Allen Jay Barth (in memoriam).
The event lasts from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., featuring a classic car show with a catered lunch. The food vendor is Open Range Good Food Truck. Their menu says: "Food without Fences, Flavors of the Northwest and Beyond, featuring Fresh Atlantic Salmon Sandwich, Muffuletta, Braised Pork Shoulder Sandwich, Smoked Brisket and Ancho Chile". There will be vendors, live music, raffles, a swap meet and more.
HOHS Rummage this weekend
A two-day Spring Sidewalk Rummage Fundraiser is occurring at the Harrington Opera House on May 14 and 15 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tables filled with newly donated items, furniture and lots of boxes to rummage through await treasure seekers. Featured items include a vintage silverware set and several older patterns of replacement pieces (some Betty Crocker), older Coke-a-Cola and Pepsi items, a selection of frames and books on tape.
History: Mother's Club convenes
On May 22, 1912, a group of 14 mothers met at the school building to organize a Mother’s club, elect officers and propose the "Constitution and By-Laws." The officers elected were President Laura Keeran, Vice-President Martha Mitchum, Secretary Ella B Grant, and Treasurer Ruby Gohlman.
Those appointed as a committee to draft the rules were Belle Bethel, Martha Mitchum, Ora Soash, Emma Ochs and Anna Jones. Their purpose of this organization was: "for the mutual, moral and social benefit of its members and to promote the general welfare of the young people and the homes of Harrington and vicinity."
Strict rules for admittance to the group were applied: applicant must have one member in good standing sign for them, provide their membership fee and successfully obtain a majority vote of all members present. The fee was refunded if they did not measure up to those standards.
In 1912, these women were not shy about acknowledging their need for money: "Each member shall pay an admission fee of fifty cents which cover dues for current month and quarterly dues of twenty-five cents and such other assessments from time to time as by vote members of the club may deem necessary. Admission fee and quarterly dues shall be paid in advance, neglect or refusal of a member to pay an assessment after being voted as herein before provided shall exclude the delinquent member from the privileges of the club and in the event of her failure to pay her assessment within ninety days her membership shall cease."
The charter members did not want to carry any deadwood: "any member of the Club who is absent from three consecutive meetings without sending regrets or excuse is no longer considered a member."
The 14 Charter Members were: Belle Bethel, Nettie Dunning, Ruby Gohlman, Ella Grant, Anna Jones, Laura Keeran, Alice Lynch, Martha Mitchum, Emma Ochs, Lillian Smalley, Ora Soash, Eulah Tierney, Jennie Turner and Eva Vick.
A quick peek at "Who's Who" in Harrington in 1912 shows that Belle Bethel was the wife of Chas. Bethel, grain buyer. They were pillars of the community, and their daughter Georgia in 1898 was the first burial in what became Hillcrest Cemetery. Charles Bethel built the famous Spanish mansion in 1905.
The following men were the husbands of the other charter members: Louis A. Dunning was a machinist and co-owner of Dunning & Erich, the creators of the Harrington Harvester. Henry Gohlman was a true pioneer, and in 1912 he was secretary-treasurer of Harrington Supply Co. Andrew J Grant was Harrington's city attorney and in private practice. John S. Jones was manager of Edwards & Bradford Lumber Co. Carl Keeran was a well-to-do farmer. Frank M. Lynch was the operator of R. Brenchley & Co., pool and billiards, the north end of the 1904 Brick Block containing the Opera House. Albert Mitchum was an early pioneer, partner with M.F. Adams in the Mercantile Block and member of the former Bank of Harrington. Harry Ochs was a wealthy pioneer wheat rancher and banker. Orson J. Smalley was a grain buyer and marshal in 1910 and president of Harrington State Bank. Arthur J. Soash was one of the enterprising blacksmiths. John F. Tierney was a realtor and insurance salesman. J.E. Turner was the mortician of Harrington. John H. Vick was an early-day dray driver and by 1912 was the proprietor of Harrington Transfer Co.
By their July meeting, the following women were elected as new members: Gertrude King, Loette Gohlman, Ione M. Thompson, Jean Tullock, Lizzie Ness, Leona Gwinn, Lena Morgan, Eva Mathews, M. Alice Cormana and Claire M. Applegate. Consistent meetings' minutes with roll call were kept in ledgers through 1942 and are stored in the Harrington Library.